My Journey to Southeast Asia…

Three months ago I made a change. I waved goodbye to being overworked and feeling unappreciated. If I was going to be overworked and unappreciated, I would at least be my own boss. I decided my time and overall happiness were worth more than its current value.  And so, I moved on to embark on a new journey. The journey, not surprisingly has been bumpy with many ups and downs and yet I wouldn’t change a thing. Not only am I able to forge my own path, it’s allowing me the opportunity to do it somewhere I have never been and have only dreamed of…

I have a one-way ticket to Southeast Asia!

Fence and Plane

I’m leaving November 18th (as in very soon) and will likely be gone for about two months! It’s something I’ve wanted to do ever since I first traveled to Europe five years ago and backpacked around Italy for two weeks. My plans are to begin in the Philippines where a very good friend of mine lives and then tackle Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and wherever else my travels may take me. When I quit my job, this adventure was always part of the plan and there’s no time like the present! Without putting too much pressure on myself, I’m hoping this trip serves many purposes.

As someone who is trying to carve out their own niche as a food and travel writer, this is my self-funded and self-assigned project. I have ideas about the things I want to explore, photograph and write about, but I am more excited about the unknown factor. I’m giddy knowing there are stories and photos out there that will come about from just wandering the street without a plan. The food, the people, it’s all stories waiting to be told!

I love the idea of working remotely and I understand that this will be a huge test which is just part of the journey I’m currently on. This won’t be a boozy backpacking 20-year old trip, although I will have the big typical backpack bag (with the Canadian patch) and I’m sure there may be a couple of beverages by the water. With the responsibilities I have back “home” in the form of Food Bloggers of Canada (FBC), my time overseas will be divided between FBC and exploring SE Asia while sharing my experiences along the way. I’m confident I will not only be able to juggle it all, but will come back even more capable. I’m convinced the people I meet and the places I will visit will inspire me and provide the ideas I didn’t even know I had.

Plane through sun

Selfishly, I’m also hoping I get to learn more about myself on this trip and what I want out of life. When I was in high-school, I couldn’t have even pictured myself at 35 years of age. But if I had been able to, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have been working for myself, still looking for Ms. Right, living in Vancouver and going to Southeast Asia for a couple of months!

When I came up with the tagline of “a journey for the stomach and soul” for Feeding Ethan, I had this trip in mind. It’s now time to begin the journey.

, , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to My Journey to Southeast Asia…

1. movita beaucoup November 6, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I can’t even tell you how excited I am for you! I hope this trip brings many delights to both your tummy and soul…

2. Jameson Fink November 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Fantastic. Look forward to reading about your travels. Congratulations. Fortune favors the bold!

• Ethan November 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Thanks Jameson. I’m going to keep that in mind!

3. Aimee @ Simple Bites November 7, 2013 at 2:53 am #

Thrilled. For. You!!

Ohmygosh. SE Asia has the best food in the world. I hope you can take the heat!!

• Ethan November 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Thank. You. So. Much! I’ve been watching all the No Reservation episodes as training material, I am prepared to sweat before, during and after the food is consumed!

4. Jan @ kitchen heals soul November 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Yes! So great that you are taking this time to travel! And really, you are going to a great area of the world! There’s also a lot of good food in Malaysia (in case you have the opportunity for an extra stop) ;)

• Ethan November 10, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

I am excited to see how far I can stretch a dollar for research and budgetary reasons:)

5. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) November 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Ethan, what a trip – glad you’re making it happen. We’ll follow along vicariously online! You should definitely consider Burma (amazing food!) if you have the time and I can give you some Laos tips though I am sure you don’t need them!

• Ethan November 10, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Merci! I see this being the first of many trips, so I’ll be hitting you up for Burma tips eventually:)

6. Rachael (Fuji Mama) November 13, 2013 at 4:45 am #

I am giddy for you! (And just a little bit jealous!) What a perfect next step and huge adventure!! I’m hoping pork buns are on your intended list of foods to eat. Oh, and if you didn’t have a backpack with the Canadian flag patch on it going with you I’d have to shoot you.

• Ethan November 15, 2013 at 8:22 am #

I will not only dream of pork buns, I will eat ALL the pork buns:)
      And oui, oui!

7. Meg November 15, 2013 at 7:38 am #

I only recently stumbled on your blog but I’m excited to see what your trip holds for you – you’re doing what I wish I could! Enjoy every moment :)

• Ethan November 15, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Happy to connect up and hope you enjoy living the journey together with me:)

8. Meg November 16, 2013 at 7:33 am #

I definitely will – living vicariously! I didn’t realize you leave so soon until just now – looking forward to your travel tales and stories :)

9. Paula November 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

I’m late to your farewell party Ethan and I apologize. I hope you arrived safe and sound in the Philippines and are now enjoying some time with your friend who lives there. I comment you for following through on this journey and wish you nothing but good times and good wishes as you travel through S.E. Asia. May your soul and your stomach never hunger for anything.

10. Paula November 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Oops. I “commend you”…not comment you :(

11. Rhonda December 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

What a fantastic adventure. I’m looking forward to reading more about what you’re up one pork bun at a time.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. First Observations of SE Asia, Crispy Pig and Helping the Philippines | Feeding Ethan - November 22, 2013

[...] donated before I left and I saw my contribution in the form of rice and sardines being handed out within a few days. I can’t explain it, but it stirred something within me to know that my few dollars helped in [...]