When I was a kid, my go-to favourite sandwich was Peanut Butter and Cheez Whiz. It was best with white bread and it normally stuck to the roof of my mouth when I ate it. I haven’t had that sandwich in about 20 years and to be honest, I don’t have any plans to go out and buy a jar of Cheez Whiz anytime soon, so for now it will just be a fond childhood memory.
All this reminiscing got me got me thinking about other classic combo’s. Peanut butter and banana go hand-in-hand like…
Ernie and his Rubber Duckie
Gretzky to Kurri (Good old Canadian hockey reference)
Baby and Johnny (Not ashamed to admit this being one of my favourite movies of all time!)
The best part of this cookie recipe is that everything should already be in your kitchen! If you’re like me, my freezer is a solace for overripe bananas that are destined for smoothies or baking. Everything else is pretty standard, I went all fancy with the Bourbon Vanilla extract from Trader Joe’s but only because that’s the only vanilla I had on hand.
Other than that, all you need is a desire to head back to your childhood and revisit one of the classic combinations of our time.
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of Bourbon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of crunchy peanut butter
- 1½ bananas (mashed)
- 1½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the peanut butter and mashed banana until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and blend in.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With a fork, crisscross mark the cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edge of the cookies begin to brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!